February 6, 2010

at Saturday, February 06, 2010 Labels: Posted by Billy

The novel 1984 left me feeling dreadful. Not because of the quality of the writing or story, but because of the hopeless world the author created and because, as I read through the book and put myself in Winston's shoes, I could not imagine how to rebel and defeat the party. At times I thought some parts extreme, but then when reflecting about all the slavery and hardships in past society I thought perhaps this novel's world may not be so far fetched after all.

The story started slow for my tastes but the vivid writing and lucid details kept me interested. I felt some parts a bit too drawn out, such as when Winston read a couple chapters of Goldstein's book. But once I hit the book's turning point I found it hard to put down.

Overall, this book was a great change of pace for me. I'm glad I finally took the time to read it, as so many others have before me, and I recommend it to people who love drama, history, politics, or simply great writing.

0 comments: